Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Scrape It

The first few times out in the snow provide a learning experience all over again - dejas vu.  Here is an image of a painting with snow all over it.  Should have seen the palette.

Block In - Flurries

This was done very quickly with a limited palette - speed.  Snow doesn't mix with oil.  After a while it feels like sand in the oil while going on.  But it is ice.  Now, the ice will melt.  Leaving - who knows what - but sometimes very interesting for a finish in the studio.  Mine started to run on the canvas.  So......

Scraping off the excess paint

This process is good either as a pre scrap (you know - on the fire) activity or as a prep for going forward.  Scraping takes off the excess paint, softens all the edges, consolidates the shapes, squeegies off the water, and gets rid of bumps if you don't want them.  You can paint on the thin wet surface or after the surface is dry.  I prefer wet in wet to the point that I make a dry surface wet (oiling in).  Many artists use this scraping after each session of painting until the last.

As an outside painting note, I used three colours (Zorn like) to minimize setup time, tilt my painting surface back towards me over my palette this keeps the snow off the canvas - well, some of it.  Then I crowd the canvas and palette with my body to shield them from the wind.  Then paint quickly.  This is all preceded with a concept and quick thumbnail so I don't have to think about composition etc.  My Julian french easel is great for this.

Then in the calm of the studio I paint on.

A Bit of Snow, 12x12, Oil on Canvas

Tomorrow I'll have a look in better light with new eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment