Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back in the Studio

These days I am split between hiding from the heat and going at it directly. This image is from the Newfoundland trip. It was done in the evening around 9 PM after a fried cod dinner at the local diner in Rocky Harbour NL. Just happened to have my gear in the car so I set up quickly beside the fish plant and quickly caught the sunset. I have just reviewed it under cover from the heat and added a few touches of colour variation in the masses per my sketch notes.


Lobster Cove, 6x8, Oil on board

When everything is moving quickly, as in the sun setting, the key is to help with painting speed. To do this in this instance I chose a small board and used my trusty #12 bristle filbert.

This was my first opportunity to set up my palette in Newfoundland so I squeezed out my basic palette and left the remaining piles of pigment for the next effort. It consisted of Ultramarine Blue, Viridian, Cadmium Lemon Yellow, Alizarin, and Titanium White. For future paintings on the trip I used this basic palette sometimes adding another pigment.

I will show you my direct attack on the heat in a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment