Saturday, January 29, 2011

Away From It. Then More on Light Effects.

For the first time in a long time I have been away from the brush for four days.  We went to Mount Tremblant to ski with old friends.   Was I hardy enough for this?

Near the Summit at -37℃ Plus Wind Chill

I have painted this year at -17℃, but out of the wind.  Just couldn't take it for too long.  Getting to be a wimp I guess.

Fuddle Duddle, North Side

Once I got warmed up my mind turned privately to painting.  I think I can make something interesting and foreboding from this.  Give the ole memory a workout.  Didn't bring any painting stuff.

But, before that, I decided to stay true to the weekly still life.  In the warm studio I laid an interesting tube of Kama paint on the small pochade palette and painted away.  The concept was to explore warm light on the tube, while using more expressive brushwork than in the recent stills.

Orange Foncé, 6x8, Oil on Board

Rather a shock after the Winter colours above.  The palette used is in the image.  I added Lead White.  The yellow ochre was mixed from Cad Yellow, Ultramarine Blue, and Cad Red Middle.  The Orange Foncé and the Cad Red Light were also used.  The other dabs are just remnants on the palette.  The good news is, the four day layoff didn't bother me.

No comments:

Post a Comment