Monday, June 1, 2009

Credit River Series

The Glen Williams Parkette is near my home.  It is a convenient place to visit and to paint a series.  The learning from a series cannot be over-estimated.  I have painted this view at least a dozen times in the last 12 months.  That means I am quite familiar with the composition.  That results in improved ability to see what is really there.  Since I paint at different times of day in different weather conditions and different times of year I see things that become apparent as Mother Nature changes the landscape.


Credit April Runoff, 11x14, Oil on canvas


In this case the spring runoff was at full force.  The river banks were submerged for the third time this year and no rocks reared their heads on this occasion.  I realized I was doing an historical painting - again.  The painting was done in early morning light with the undergrowth sporting all sorts of new growth colours before the leaf season.

I am currently painting another view of the area and have yet a third view in mind.

The painting was done on site with a #10 bristle filbert.  The brush was not cleaned during the session, just wiped on a paper towel.  The palette consisted of titanium white, ultramarine blue, cadmium yellow light, and alizarin.

No comments:

Post a Comment