Friday, January 20, 2012

Response to Rx2

I had an interesting conversation with a young lady regarding this Rx2 post.  Her take was that she did not like the gridding process - it made her feel trapped by precision.  At the same time she commented that she needed to practice getting her shapes right and measuring.

Gotcha!  These are merely exercises aimed at developing tools for the artist.  You put them in your tool bag and use them when you deem it necessary.  Don't force yourself to use anything just because you have it.

In this case the exercise was not about using a grid.  Merely putting down a mark of the right size (measuring) in the right place.  Most of the time I eyeball this.  However, I did learn how to measure and put the marks in the right place on the canvas.  If I get in trouble I can dust off the tools and get it right.  "Right" of course means right for my concept.  I do compose rather liberally at times, moving things, leaving things out, adding, distorting etc.  Here is an example.

Photo of the Site in The Hockley

Notice how tonal this photo looks.  It was a back lit scene, but there was lots of colour.  Like a thumbnail.

Lay - In

Too much and leading the eye out of the composition.  Try this.

Trial

Now adjusting the values and colours.

Take It Out

No comments:

Post a Comment