Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tambourine Solo

I had never seen an electric tambourine, never mind an incredible 10 minute solo.  Friday night Jesse Cook presented still another twist in his eclectic and innovative musical journey.  Massey Hall rocked to a Rumba Party ending.  Then the subway stalled and I remembered that I had an early hour journey painting in the remnants of snow in the morning that was fast approaching.

You can never tell what painting will be like after a late night.  Vic and Randi sought out a tree to hide behind to escape the wind on a beautiful Spring day in Hockley.  Yes, Spring, the Turkey Buzzards spoke three weeks ago.  I set up in a ditch and decided to paint the snow drift that protected me.  Ha!  A short picture box challenge.

Tambourine Solo, 11x14, Oil on Canvas

Creating depth is the issue in the short box (like a figure study or a still life).  Second to that there is the illusion of bright light.  After all, we have but pigment to light with.  Primary tools used here; gradation, colour, temperature and value contrast, edge work.

The painting was done with bristle brushes - #16, #8, #6, all bristle, a palette knife (generously used) and Gel Medium.

The paint on the palette - tada!  Old Holland Cobalt Blue, Old Holland Viridian, Cadmium Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Middle, Cadmium Red Middle and Alizarin.  Painting with Old Holland is a real treat, but it makes you nervous.  I usually just look at the few tubes I have.  What if I screw up with THAT paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment