Monday, January 3, 2011

Continuation of Randi's Choice

A little time on the easel and I changed up the plein air sketch in keeping with my original concept.  Since the sky was warmer and darker that the snow covered ground I wanted to preserve that.  So I started with a yellow-violet grey on the warm side to wash in the board.  That helps with colour balance.  It was extremely wet, assuring a wet in wet application.  Then I filled in the rest of my palette given what I saw on this overcast day - dull green, blueish hoard frost and a raft of close value colours in the areas of snow.  So my palette then consisted of Yellow Ochre, Cobalt Violet, Cobalt Blue, and Alizarin - to provide a dark.  the white was a sloppy Titanium.  It wasn't cold enough to stiffen up the brand I used.  I got this far as you may recall.

Randi's Choice Sketch, 10x12, Oil on Board

I did not like the hill shapes and the fence line and wanted to get more tension into the different planes.  After the coffee shop discussion I got to work using the same palette (from the French Easel) and here is where I ended.  Of course it is a picture of a painting with subtle colours and values, and you know what that means.

Randi's Choice, 10x 12, Oil on Board

No comments:

Post a Comment