Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tubing Your Own Paint

Seems I am always looking at materials in an effort to reduce cost, increase quality, and increase convenience.  I'd rather be painting.  So I ordered some paint from the US and had it sent in the mail.  That avoided brokerage fees, taxes, and duty.  At Above Ground I picked up some empty tubes with caps (these are available in the mail as well).  A few people I know use these to store their grays after a painting session - scraped off their palette.

To fill the tubes I used a long round nose palette knife.  I gloved up like a surgeon with nitrile gloves from the CT.  As the paint was scooped up on the knife you put it in the tube held upside down in one hand.  Then you scrape the paint off on the side of the tube.  Gently tap the tube on the palette to get the paint to go to the cap end.  Repeat this until the tube is about 75% full.  Then squeeze the open end closed.  A bit of paint squishes out the end.  Wipe it off.  Now you see why the gloves are used.  Take a palette knife and flatten the tube end on the palette - about 3/16 inch from the end.  With the knife in place raise the tube to bend the material and fold it over.  Next, gently use a pair of pliers to make another smaller fold and secure the bend, locking the paint in.  Wash off the spilled paint with thinner.  When dry use a permanent marker to label the paint.  Looks crude, works well.

Paint Tubing Factory

Here is the layout.  What you don't see is the paint I got on the stove, and the one tube I punctured.  Each tube gets better and better.  I did 14 tubes of paint, 7 colours, in this trial.  It is artist quality paint from RGH.  In the quantities I purchased it cost about half of a comparable brand.  Doesn't look sexy.  Didn't have to go further than the mail box to get it.  Now to paint with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment