Saturday, February 6, 2010

Another Broken Promise

As soon as we committed to paint I knew THEY would change the forecast.  Sure enough.  Not a hint of the promised sun coming up as I drove north.  Vic masterfully navigated us to another remote valley in the Hockley area.  It was -4C with a breeze that cut.  And we forgot the timer.  We never seem to remember everything.  Randi entertained us with her new french easel.  Setting one up can be hilarious to an onlooker.


The overcast presents a challenge many painters prefer to avoid.  But it is great training.  The values are close, the shadows dim or non existent.  The colours are unlit but often quite saturated.  One advantage is that the light does not change as drastically or as quickly.  Your job is to make it a painting.  Take the opportunity to train your eye, to squint, to compare, to relax, to just paint, not think.

Wolf Watch, 10x12, Oil on Board

Somehow I found a number 6 bristle brush in my hand after initiating the painting with the number 14.  We also stayed out too long between warm ups.  By the time I realized how tight the painting was I also realized I had the little brush in may hand and it was time for the mid day break.  I promised to go with the 14 in the afternoon and that worked out fine.

Another great day of painting, laughter, beauty, and friendship.

The palette was Ultramarine Blue, Viridian, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Orange, Alizarin, and Titanium White.

No comments:

Post a Comment